Pages

Thursday, July 15, 2010

I have just arrived in Seoul

After a 16 hour flight, I have arrived in Seoul, South Korea for a residency at Seoul Art Space in Geumcheon. I am still finding my bearings yet I feel fully at ease here in Korea. I do not speak any Korean and rely on a few I-Phone apps for translations and currency rates when necessary. So far I find Koreans very helpful and willing to speak English after you butcher a few Korean words.

Incheon International Airport (ICN) serves as the main hub for international travel and is located 43 miles (70 km) west of Seoul. While ICN is the largest airport in Seoul and one of the busiest in the world, it is well designed (see below) and extremely easy to navigate.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/Incheon_International_Airpot_%28interesting_architecture%29.jpg

Seoul Art Space Geumcheon is located 56 km from ICN. There are several options for transit such as train, bus, and taxi. Taxi service is the fastest and cheap compared to other large cities as the trip from the airport took little more than an hour and cost 70.00 US dollars or 84,000 KRW which included tolls. When choosing a taxi, there are several types ranging from the basic to the more expensive international taxi that offers translation services. This site http://www.korea4expats.com/article-types-of-taxis.html has more detailed descriptions of Seoul taxi services. My taxi had no meter and was some guy running his own taxi business on the side. He was very helpful carrying my excess baggage to the front door however, I had to remind him of the original fare agreed upon.

1 comment:

  1. awesome - congrats on your adventure.

    my friend sheila bocchine lives and works in korea
    look her up
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=723226400#!/sheilabocchine?ref=ts



    suzanne falk.

    ReplyDelete